As a woman in today’s day and age, you might want to focus on your education and career more rather than starting a family early. If you’re going to start a family later in life, not right now, egg freezing could be an excellent option.
In this article, Dr. Hrishikesh Pai from Babies & Us IVF and ICSI Centre discusses egg freezing in Mumbai.
What is Egg Freezing?
The procedure of removing eggs from the ovaries and preserving them for future use with the help of a freezing technique is called egg freezing.
It is also called oocyte cryopreservation. These eggs can be stored and utilized for future use. A frozen egg can be thawed, combined with sperm, and placed in your uterus using IVF.
Age is one of the most critical factors in egg freezing. If you are a woman, you are born with a certain number of eggs. As you start getting older, the egg quality starts declining. That is why many women choose to freeze their eggs at an earlier age.
Dr. Hrishikesh Pai is the founder of the most renowned IVF centre in Mumbai, Babies & Us IVF, and ICSI Centre. He has over 35 years of experience in treating patients with fertility issues.
Babies & Us IVF and ICSI Centre have a lot of facilities that a patient needs, and they provide excellent treatment.
Who needs it?
One of the biggest reasons to freeze your eggs is your age, says Dr. Pai, because as you get older, the quality and quantity of the eggs will decrease.
According to Dr. Pai, the following are a few more reasons why you might want to opt for egg freezing:
- You have a life-threatening disease that can affect your fertility
- You are getting treatment for cancer or another disease affecting your fertility. These can include treatments like chemotherapy.
- You are going under IVF procedure; you might want to freeze your eggs
- You want to preserve your eggs for later use where you can use them in IVF treatment with the help of your partner or a donor
Egg freezing in Mumbai has the following preparation process:
- The first thing you need to do if you decide to freeze your eggs is to find a good, reputable clinic where you can get the treatment.
- Your doctor will first check your medical history. They will also focus on your menstrual cycle and do some blood tests to check your hormone levels.
- Your ovaries release one egg every month, but this one egg is not enough for freezing. Due to this, your doctor will give you a hormone treatment that will help your ovaries stimulate and produce more eggs.
- You need to inject yourself with 1 to 3 hormonal injections during this treatment. Your doctor will inform you about how to take these injections.
- Your doctor will perform regular blood tests to monitor the effects of this hormone treatment. They will also tell you to get an ultrasound to check the growth of the follicle where the eggs mature.
- When these follicles are ready for retrieval, your doctor will give you medications to help the eggs mature.
The procedure of egg freezing is as follows:
- The procedure of retrieving the eggs is done under anesthesia. It is generally done at your doctor’s clinic or hospital.
- An ultrasound probe is inserted into your vagina to identify the follicles during this procedure. A needle is inserted through your vagina to the follicles. This needle has a suctioning device that pulls the eggs from the follicles. Multiple eggs are removed simultaneously to increase your chances of a successful pregnancy.
- After this, the eggs are cooled down at an extremely low temperature. This process is more complicated than freezing a fertilized egg or embryo.
- The freezing of eggs is known as vitrification. This approach employs large amounts of chemicals that prevent ice crystals from forming during the freezing process and rapid cooling.
The following factors influence egg freezing success rates:
- The age at which the eggs are frozen
- The age at which they are thawed, and IVF is done
- Sperm quality
- The clinic where you are receiving treatment
- The number of eggs
The pregnancy rates have been estimated between 4 to 12% per egg.
According to Dr. Pai, the following are the risks associated with egg freezing:
- Mood swings
- Medications used to induce your ovaries can make them painful and enlarged.
The cost of egg freezing in Mumbai can vary from clinic to clinic. The average price of egg freezing in Mumbai is Rs. 50000 to Rs. 100000.
The cost of retaining the eggs can be between Rs. 15000 to Rs. 20000.
Egg freezing can give freedom to the woman of today to have children later in life. So they can focus on their career and job opportunities and thrive in those fields.
To know more about egg freezing, you can visit Dr. Hrishikesh Pai at Babies & Us IVF Centre in Mumbai.